Tuesday 31 August 2010

Nokia 6131/6212 - Crypto Capabilities

It looks like the secure chip in the Nokia NFC phones does not support Elliptic Curve Cryptography - RSA works fine though. I've tried to create ECC keypairs using NIST curve specifications SECP160K1 and SECT163K1 but the response is 0x6F03 (no such algorithm). However the latter curve does work (signature generation and verification OK) on my single and dual interface smart cards (JCOP20/JCOP30).

In my previous post I saw that the COS for the Nokia 6131 NFC is G&D SmartCafe Expert 3.1 In G&D's sparse public documentation and SmartCafe Expert 3.1 flyer only RSA is mentioned so I conclude ECC is definitely not supported. As an interesting side note, the flyer says the COS is JavaCard 2.2.1 compliant - which confirms a conclusion in an earlier post.


Since there are so few other mobiles with NFC I guess we'll have to wait for microSD cards with embedded NFC and secure elements which support ECC.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,
Do you know if it is possible to install & load the muscle applet on a 6212?
i would like to manage the 6212 as a pkcs#11 smart card...
Regards,
Laurent

__ said...

I don't know of any obstacles ... it should be possible. Just keep in mind the 6212 uses the G&D SmartCafe COS, and supports RSA up to 2048-bit (no ECC support).